[sword-devel] inquring about an official WEB update and also the gbf to osis converter....

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Feb 7 17:26:51 MST 2006

Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> Chris Little wrote:
>> The text derives from the OSIS document on ebible.org (with only the
>> header and apocrypha removed before running the importer), so it isn't
>> conformant OSIS 2.1. But there is some chatter about changing the
>> standard in various ways to accomodate presentational quotation marks
>> more easily, so I'm hoping Michael Johnson will fix his converter once
>> that happens. (Actually, if I recall, we identified syntax in 2.1 for
>> marking presentation quotes and it hasn't been incorporated into the
>> converter, so maybe he doesn't care.)

> Actually, he does care. He just doesn't code to rumors. I haven't
> noticed any firm, accessible documentation on OSIS that would lead me to
> think that changing my converter would be appropriate. I don't really
> believe OSIS will catch on, much, because it is possible to do much
> better with a Scripture XML schema, at least from the perspective of
> most of those who generate Scripture files (like Bible translators and
> publishers). Anyway, thanks...

In my recollection you had about two thirds of the OSIS technical
committee, including the schema and manual author, concur on how you can
encode presentational quotation marks in OSIS with the existing schema
(that is, using the n attribute on q elements). That doesn't qualify
under the standard definition of a "rumor".

--Chris