[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

L.Allan-pbio paraclete at bibleinverse.org
Tue Feb 7 11:19:33 MST 2006

> I was referring to the link I provided. I don't have enough experience or
> accessible machines with earlier OSes. If our minimum target is Win98 then
> I think that HKCU is a fine target.
>
> Keep me posted on your findings and suggestions here.

I took a more or less detailed look at how the legacy InstallShield 1.5.x
installers worked on a Win98-FirstEdition computer

************************ 1.5.4 ****************
1.5.4 (from Sep, 2002?)
installed into C:\Temp154\The SWORD Project (would be nsis' ${INSTDIR})

HKLM Software\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\1.4.0a
   no actual keys or info .... just (Default)

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.EXE
   (Default) = C:\Temp154\The SWORD Project\sword.EXE
   Path      = C:\Temp154\The SWORD Project

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD Project
   (Default) = (value not set)
   DisplayName  = "The SWORD Project"
   UninstallString = C:\WIN98FE\ISUNINST.EXE -f"C:\Temp154b\The SWORD
Project\Uninst.isu" -c"C:\Temp154b\The SWORD Project\UninstCust.DLL"

Entry in Start + Programs + The SWORD Project
for InstallManager, sword.exe, read.me, and SWORD.hlp, but not uninstaller

Reinstall can find previous installation and reuses.
Doesn't re-write autoexec.bat or do anything with SWORD_PATH or SWORD_HOME
environment variable(s)

Almost clean uninstall using Control Panel (uninstaller not in Start +
Programs)
(removed most files except userprefs.conf, but left directories)
Registry entries all removed.

************************ 1.5.5 ****************

1.5.5 (from Aug, 2003?)
installed into C:\Temp155\The SWORD Project (would be nsis' ${INSTDIR})

HKLM Software\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\1.00.000
   no actual keys or info .... just (Default)

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.EXE
   (Default) = C:\Temp155\The SWORD Project\sword.exe
   Path      = C:\Temp155\The SWORD Project

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD Project
   (Default) = (value not set)
   DisplayName  = "The SWORD Project"
   UninstallString = C:\WIN98FE\ISUNINST.EXE -f"C:\Temp155\The SWORD
Project\Uninst.isu" -c"C:\Temp154b\The SWORD Project\UninstCust.DLL"

Entry in Start + Programs + The SWORD Project
for InstallManager, sword.exe, read.me, and SWORD.hlp, but not uninstaller

Reinstall can find previous installation and reuses.
Doesn't re-write autoexec.bat or do anything with SWORD_PATH or SWORD_HOME
environment variable(s)

Almost clean uninstall using Control Panel (uninstaller not in Start +
Programs)
(removed most files (left userprefs.conf), but left directories)
Registry entries all removed.

************************ 1.5.6 ****************

1.5.6
installed into C:\Temp156\The SWORD Project (would be nsis' ${INSTDIR})

HKLM Software\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\1.00.000 (same as 1.5.5)
   no actual keys or info .... just (Default)

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\sword.EXE
   (Default) = C:\Temp156\The SWORD Project\sword.exe
   Path      = C:\Temp156\The SWORD Project

HKLM Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The SWORD Project
   (Default) = (value not set)
   DisplayName  = "The SWORD Project"
   UninstallString = C:\WIN98FE\ISUNINST.EXE -f"C:\Temp156\The SWORD