[sword-devel] BibleMemorizer and Sword Text Encoding

Jeremy Erickson jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 27 14:12:20 MST 2006

Hi all,
	I've had a chance with Christmas break to work on BibleMemorizer, and I've
made some progress.  However, as Raphaël Pinson (from Ichthux) noted, the
Sword plugin handles text encoding wrong if the module isn't already in
UTF-8.  BibleMemorizer itself assumes that any text it gets from plugins is
UTF-8.  What approach would you suggest for converting the text to UTF-8 when
necessary?  Does Sword 1.5.9 provide such a function, or would I have to use
something like libiconv?

	Also, another tester of BibleMemorizer (Johan van der Lingen) has noticed
that the Sword plugin will cause slow behavior and hangs when some references
are inputted wrong, because the plugin (using ListKey to resolve references)
fetches large ranges, such as entire books.  Also, when a reference extends
past the end of a chapter, it fetches verses from the next chapter.  AFAIK,
both of these issues are caused by the normal behavior of ListKey.  Is there
any more elegant method than ListKey for fetching references, or is there an
easy way to see how many verses it will try to fetch before it fetches them?
(see
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1579313&group_id=134333&atid=729745
for the bug report in question).

	Thanks in advance!