[sword-devel] BibleCS FC3 installer

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 15:05:04 MST 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 5:21 PM, L.Allan-pbio wrote:

> Looks VERY good. Nice job.
>
> Some comments:
>
> * The readme.txt has LcdBible information rather than InstallManager.

It seems to be the correct readme, to me. Try installing to a new,
empty location.

> * Should this be ver 1.5.9?

Troy has been calling it 1.5.8.

> * What is the status of icudt##.dll ?

I think that Chris is working on upgrading it to ICU 3.4.1 before the
release. He is having some problems with SVN.

> * In the "Help About" lower window, there is a sentence that starts
> with:
> "Thanx to God for His GREAT MERCY and LOVE:
> Should this be "Thanks"?
>
>> k) When installing to a directory that does not currently contain
>> mods.d, it will arrange to have modules placed in ../library.
>> l) Sets SWORD_PATH to the module directory.
>
> A request: (may be outside scope of installer, but is related)
> The code in SWMgr::findConfig was revised to look for ../library,
> which is a welcome improvement. However, it would also helpful to have
> it check for mods.d in ../The SWORD Project. This would facilitate
> other "family apps" finding modules from upgrades to existing
> installations. As it is now, the best "hold your nose" alternative is
> to install in the same directory as BibleCS sword.exe
>
> Scenario of upgrade to existing installation:
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\sword.exe
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\mod.s
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\modules
>
> A "family app" in its own subdirectory could have a tough time finding
> mods.d and modules if SWORD_PATH isn't set (but will the installer
> always set SWORD_PATH?)
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\LcdBible\LcdBible.exe

A new feature is that the SWMgr will look for a sword.conf file in
the current working directory of the calling application.

This can point to the Sword location, which is discoverable during
install time by an NSIS installer. The NSIS installer can construct a
sword.conf file.

Additionally, the SWORD_PATH environment variable is being set to
point to the directory that contains mods.d when BibleCS is installed.

These two things probably are sufficient. And they allow the user to
install LCDBible or BibleDesktop anywhere rather than in the
suggested C:\Program Files\CrossWire directory.

On the CrossWire live CD, there could be a directory LCDBible which
would contain a sword.conf file which would give a DataPath=..
This would then find ../mods.d.

I'll be rewriting the BibleDesktop installer to handle this. We can
take further discussion of  this offline if you would like.