[sword-devel] NetSword -- Take 2

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 18 20:46:57 MST 2006

Hey (not sure your name),

    I can't stress enough how much I appreciate your ambition but would
discourage your efforts in this direction.  We have spent quite a bit of
time developing a tuned crossplatform framework with bindings for other
languages.  If you would like to work in the .net world, the officially
sanctioned route is to use the .net bindings to the C++ library or the
more general CORBA bindings.

    Our hope is to encourage collaboration.  Other frontend and tool
projects are underway for the .net platform using the .net swig bindings
to the C++ library (as Jonathan Morgan mentioned previously).

    We do not standardize on sword module formats.  They change without
notice.  We supports many subsets of markup formats including OSIS,
ThML, WEB, and custom extensions on many of these.  The supported tags
in modules may change at any time.

    We expose an extremely static (many say way too static) API with the
C++ engine.  It doesn't change very often, and even then, not very
much.  This is where we try to focus on ease of use for the developers
of Bible software.  When we come out with new modules and new features,
usually a frontend developer merely has to update to the latest sword
engine, recompile, and they provide the benefit of all supported new
features and modules to their audience.

    The end result of your hard work would be an ever behind, effort to
merely provide the same functionality as any tool developer could get
with the .net bindings to the authentic native sword engine.

    If you would like to provide a more .net friendly interface, maybe
you might consider developing your own .net API design which uses the
.net bindings to the native engine for doing the sword work.

    Looking forward to working together,

       -Troy A. Griffitts