[sword-devel] NetSword

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 22:32:30 MST 2006

On 18/08/06, veritosproject at gmail.com <veritosproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have started to port Sword (actually JSword) to the .NET Framework.
>
> I have so far ported org.crosswire.common.history,
> o.cw.common.activate, and a couple files from o.cw.common.util.
>
> If anyone wants to help on this project, just email me.
>
> Currently Implementing: org.crosswire.common.util.*
> Already Implemented: Filter, URLFilter,
> Iterator is going to be a mess because the structures differ greatly
> between C# and Java.  CollectionUtil is also kind of odd.
> I don't know the parallel with the .class structure in Java, so the
> o.cw.common.history stuff might be malimplemented.  I'll post my code
> eventually.

If you wish to make a port of Sword or use the Sword libraries under
.NET/Mono/DotGnu, there are two places you might want to look at for
information and implementation details.

1. SWIGSword: SWIG bindings to Sword, so you would get access to the
features of the original library.  C# with P/Invoke is one of the
supported platforms for SWIG.  See
http://source.emptycrate.com/projects/swigsword/ for more details.

2. SharpSword: "SharpSword is an open library for accessing, managing,
and searching Bible texts on the .NET platform, implemented entirely
in C#. It supports various module formats including SWORD, and
introduces a new powerful XML module format."  See
http://sourceforge.net/projects/swordnet.  Especially see the last
announcement, at
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=538831, which states
that development work will continue using SwigSword rather than
SharpSword.

Jon