[sword-devel] NetSword

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 21:46:32 MST 2006

I'm not really familiar with .NET as I develop in Java for its
platform independence.
The Sword C++ library, is also platform independent for all practical
purposes.

Does the .NET platform all for linking C++? If so, I would suggest
that route.
Then you could focus on the UI as a starting point. Later, the core
library
could be ported if needed.

You asked on IRC whether JSword is a complete port of Sword.
Nope. For a couple of reasons:
1) It's not a port. The code has a lot of similarities but a
different design as
it leverages the strengths of Java and uses COTS as much as possible.

2) We have not had enough time to implement all the features of Sword.
At this time we don't support Raw GenBook. And we don't support module
writing. There are other things that we don't do, but those are the
biggies.

3) Sword is a moving target. The only way to keep up is to not port it,
but use it directly. There are some pretty exciting things coming up in
the next year: alternate versifications, tagged papyrii, support for TEI
dictionaries. We will have a hard time implementing all of these and
add the missing features during the next year.

If you do decide to go the JSword port route, join the jsword-devel
mailing list
and I'll help you with understanding the code.

In His Service,
	DM