[sword-devel] mail server problems

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 2 17:40:20 MST 2006

For the past 2 months CrossWire has been bombarded with email attacks--
in a round-about sort of way.

Spammers have been address their spam as being FROM: someuser at crosswire.org

This has resulted in millions of bounced messaged from legitimate
servers stating that spamrecipient at somedomain.com is not a valid email,
all being sent to crosswire.org, as the recipient MTA things we were the
sender.

CrossWire's MTA has been unable to keep up with the traffic and this has
resulted in a frequent number of bounced messages for you all to
sword-devel, and to others @crosswire.org.

Per recommendation from a long while back, we've just attempted to
switch MTA software.  Please let us know if mail problems persist, or if
any new problems have popped up from switching everything over to our
new package.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

	-Troy