[sword-devel] Ubuntu

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:06:23 MST 2006

On 4/21/06, David J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately with the distributions I've tried, I find they run much
> slower
> on older machines - much slower than Windows XP - which surprises me.  I
> have one machine that is a Pentium 3 at about 550 MHz with 64 MB RAM and
> it
> is slower than a slothful man at work time.  Ringht now I'm running on
> Mandriva Linux 2006 and it just creeps when doing anything.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for a linux distro that runs quickly on old
> machines?

If you are not faint of heart, you could try Gentoo... But that's only for
the strong-willed.  Debian has run incredibly well on slower machines in my
experience while running something as heavy-weight as Gnome.  Even on fast
machines Mandriva's default install seems to creep along.  Of course the
extreme of the measures might be something like DamnSmall - but I have no
personal experience with it.

Otherwise the advice of recompiling the kernel and using a light-weight WM
are the best advice that can be given.

--Greg

Best Wishes,