[sword-devel] KJV 2006 5th beta

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 21 12:13:49 MST 2006

DM,

I'm sorry to take so long in responding--I've just been really busy with
school. I'll take up the issues with <divineName> on the OSIS list.

In general, it will probably be beneficial for you to understand how the
process of OSIS meetings and example markup writing works. We have had
meetings to discuss OSIS every 6 months to 1 year since the initial
conference where it was decreed that OSIS would be developed. In between
the meetings (sometimes at nights during the meetings even) people work
on text markup, generally for some project they have or for an agency
that is paying them to OSISize their text.

I think everyone kind of has their own style of OSIS encoding. Some
people like to be minimalist (I would say I'm in that camp). Others like
to be verbose. And then some people are just wrong and violate the
standard in various ways. Except for the last set, it's all still valid
OSIS. It might not be best practice conformant OSIS if it doesn't
include certain minimal features, but that's sort of a tangent issue.

After people create the texts, they are frequently examined at the next
OSIS meeting--especially if they encountered problems or have
improvements to suggest based on experiences they had with markup. Then
those examples go on to live lives of their own once they get
incorporated into the manual--whether or not they were especially good
examples of clean and proper OSIS.

My suggestion would be to not stray too far from the section actually
discussing a particular tag when examining how that tag should be used.
Specifically, you should take the example of <divineName> usage from the
section specifically discussing it. The instance where it occurs with an
x-yhwh is in the <l> section of the poetry tagging discussion, and it
probably just wasn't noticed that this bit of non-standard markup was
included.

--Chris