[sword-devel] KJV 2006 5th beta

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Apr 5 12:01:36 MST 2006

DM Smith wrote:
> This beta corrects mistakes reported against the last beta. And also
> does the following:
> Divine Name:
> All divine names are tagged with <divineName> (most were already).
> If the underlying strong's number is 3050 (YH), 3068 or 3069 (YHWH), I
> have added the type x-yhwh.
> For those instances where the name is a compound with YHWH, the type is
> x-yhwh and the subtype is a transliteration of the hebrew of the
> compound part, e.g. x-tsidkenu.
> There were also a few cases of JESUS in all caps. This is with the type
> x-jesus.
> When the divine name  is in a <transChange> or a <note> I have tagged it
> without a type.
> I also wrapped 2 instances of BRANCH in all caps with divineName as it
> appears that this is what the KJV was trying to communicate in making it
> all caps.
> In all of these instances I have changed the word to begin with a
> capital letter and be followed with lower case. The intention is that
> these should be rendered with small-caps.
> Questions: Should these be left as all caps? Can the front-ends render
> this?

<divineName> is currently only intended for translations of Yahweh
(Strong's numbers 3050, 3068, & 3069). We debated whether it should be
used for marking Jesus or other deities named in the Bible or other
works, but ultimately decided that we should limit it to exclusively
Yahweh. We discussed adding types but, ultimately, decided not to since
the only valid type this leaves was "yhwh" or "Yahweh".

If you think the situation should be otherwise, you should make the case
for a change on osis-user.

> Inscriptions:
> I have identified all inscriptions that were in all caps in the KJV. I
> have wrapped these with <inscription> and changed the all caps to Title
> Case. The intention is that these should be rendered with small-caps,
> perhaps emphasized with bold.
> Question: Should these be left as all caps? Can the front-ends render this?

 From these and the later comments about these being all caps in the
printed KJV text, it sounds like the KJV2006 should have
<inscription>ALL CAPS</inscription>.

> Paragraphs:
> I have compared the paragraph marks against two other e-texts and then
> against a print Old Scofield. The result is:
> All paragraph marks starting a chapter have been deleted.

Why? I guess I don't remember whether you decided to encode paragraphs
The former is valid OSIS. The latter is meaningless for interchange.
Interchange formats are pointless if we don't all actually use the
shared vocabulary.

This is probably another thing to bring up on osis-user if you thing a
change is needed.

> Acrostic titles in Psalm 119:
> I have added the attribute xlit to each <w> element surrounding the
> transliteration of the Hebrew alphabet letter (e.g. ALEPH) and set the
> value to the Hebrew character. This is not intended for display, but for
> completeness.

Something doesn't seem quite right here. I would have no problem with <w
don't really know that I have the right answer here, but gloss="he:א" or
lemma="he:א" seem like they would be slightly better. Ultimately, I
think the n attribute is the closest to the correct place to hang the
Hebrew letter (n="א"), but it may be better on the container of the
whole acrostic section.

--Chris