[sword-devel] Re:Chapter translations (Robin Randall)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 05:20:07 MST 2005

In looking at the code it seems that it is more than just an "user"
localization issue. It also appears to be a "publisher" localization
issue. In the encoding of a Bible module (e.g. ThML), I have seen both
Revelation and Revelation of John, and Roman and Arabic numbers. I would
guess that III is an appropriate publisher localization of 3 for the
KJV, but not for The Message.

I suggest that when software generates a full name to Rev, the full name
should be "Revelation" (say from an OSIS id), when a title is requested,
it should be more formal/complete. (I don't think Sword makes a
distinction between a full name and a title name. Neither does JSword)
But both should be allowable forms so that if input contains the
alternate, it should work just fine. With regard to Roman/Arabic
numbers, I favor Arabic as the new standard. But both need to be
acceptable as input. At least for the older American Standard English
speakers among us.

Thanks for the reference to the SBL Handbook of Style, I'll be buying it.