[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Oct 8 13:40:49 MST 2005

Hey Lynn,
	If you'd like to help with this installer, I'd appreciate it.  I'm not
interested in handling all possible install scenarios for this
installer.  We have nearly ~5000 downloads of this software a month--
about 7 an hour and I doubt many of these people will wish to share a
common set of sword modules between different SWORD software for
Windows.  The ones that do can read the README and figure out how to
create /etc/sword.conf or SWORD_PATH.  The import thing is that 7 people
an hour currently download a version of the software that is 2 years
behind, including an incomplete KJV module.  Finishing this installer
should be a couple hours of work, from your experience, just finishing
what I've described.  If you'd like to help.  I'd welcome the help.

	Thanks for the comments.  You've always been completely thorough when
considering a task :)

> What is your guidance as far as what to try to accomplish:
> * Ignore SWORD_PATH (if defined) and suggest
> C:\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\
> but accept changes to that and leave SWORD_PATH undefined (or the same
> as it was before if SWORD_PATH was already defined)

The SWORD software doesn't change for the Windows build.  It will deal
with SWORD_PATH, or even /etc/sword.conf files even on a Windows box.

The Windows Installer currently does not do anything with these
settings, but merely places modules in the same directory as the EXE.
For now, I'd just like to switch the installer from InstallShield to the
NullSoft installer, and get a new package out the door.

If you're worried about LcdBible not finding the same module set as
BibleCS, you can add customization to your hearts desire to LcdBible's
installer, and even update new options for the BibleCS installer in the
future, if you'd like.

Just to requote my original assessment:

>>Simply, I think all we still need to do is:
>>
>>Rename the install directory from 'The SWORD Project for Windows' to
>>'CrossWire/The SWORD Project'
>

> Ok.
>

>>Launch Readme.txt, and on close launch InstallManager.exe (yes, new
>>name-- since we pushed most of this functionality into the engine
>
> and
>
>>now have an installmgr.cpp in the engine, this was renamed to avoid
>
> mixups).
>
> Seems do-able.
>

>>Registry key so updates and reinstalls go to the same place.
>

> Ok.
>

>>Registry key that the current installer adds so that our windows
>
> module
>
>>installer can find the install directory.
>

> Would this be based on the SWORD_PATH environment variable, or the
> registry variables of BibleCS? What if they aren't the same? Which
> would have precedence?

The current installer adds a registry key which the current
InstallShield MODULE INSTALLER keys off to know where to install
themselves.  The task involves discovering what key this is and making
sure the new NullSoft BIBLECS installer still adds this same key, so as
not to disrupt the continued use of the current InstallShield Windows
MODULE installer-- for now.

>>That should be it.
>>
>>I would really appreciate the help and have already appreciated the
>>comments.

Thanks for considering Lynn.  I really would appreciate this help and
for someone to own this if you'd be willing.  My desire for this
installer is to make things as simple as possible for the end user and
not cloud them with multiple options which 99.99% of them will not
understand.  I'd be happy with an 'Advanced' button, but the standard
install should ask the same common basic questions of any other Windows
installer.  That's about my only concern (and that it actually works).
So if you'd be interested, it would be a blessing a many people.  Please
let me know.

	-Troy.