[sword-devel] Searching and Lucene thoughts

dmsmith555 at yahoo.com dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 14:49:18 MST 2005

I have implemented the Boyer-Moore before. I think that it is a bit
biased toward common prefix languages as you stated. But it would work
on any. The problem that I encountered is that it is easy to write for 7
bit ascii and later for 8 bit latin-1, but the compiled fsa becomes
difficult for a large character set. (I.e. my simple algorithm won't work)

The reason it works is that when it fails on matching a word, it does
not need to start at the next character, but it can skip ahead. The
longer the word, the better the speed.

Here is a very basic understanding: if in searching for the word
"blessing" one were to match "bl" and then fail on an "a" you know that
you do not need to restart on "l" or "a" but you can start on a later
letter. Where you start is based upon the letters in the word being
searched and the letter that you failed upon.

However, the Boyer-Moyer does not start from the beginning of the word,
but from the end. So it tries to match the "g" first and then the "n".
If it were looking at the word blasphemy, the eigth letter of
"blessing", the "g", would have been checked against the eigth leter of
"blasphemy", the "m". Since "g" does not occur in "blessing" more than
once and since "m" does not occur in it at all, we can then skip forward
8 letters. This is a tremendous savings.

If the movement from latin-1 to utf-8 and old search to lucene is at all
slow, then I think it may be worth it to implement it.