[sword-devel] Indexed searching crashes on short common words. BibleCS beta or sword-api?

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 12 06:45:09 MST 2005

I was trying out BibleCS 1.5.8rc1 and encountered what seems to me a
serious bug with indexed (optimized) searching.

After building the index, if you search for a very common short word
(e.g. "of", "the", "a"), BibleCS does the equivalent of crashing. It
reports an application error ... exception Floating-point division by
zero. BibleCS keeps running (I suppose a try --- catch handler is
attempting to recover gracefully), but the Search capability is
effectively unusable until BibleCS is restarted (... the Halt button
is enabled rather than the Search button).

BibleCS or sword-api problem? (or user error on my part?)

I'm not familiar with the sword-api's optimized search logic or how
BibleCS implements this capability. If this is a problem that is
specific to the BibleCS 1.5.8 beta, then "no worries ... that's what
betas are for." However, if this is a problem with the 1.5.8
sword-api, then that seems a bigger concern.

There is a test program in
examples\cmdline\search.cpp
that someone with more experience than myself with indexed searching
might be able to use to check if the problem is with BibleCS or the
sword-api.

Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Does this happen for other
people? With linux?

Happens with AKJV, KJV, ASV, WEB, etc. on Win2000-Sp4 and XpPro-Sp2.
Non-optimized searching works correctly for short, common words
(except rather slowly).