[sword-devel] Naves in OSIS

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 19:16:37 MST 2005

Here is a starting thought on the format of the osis.

I took three simple cases:
The first is about as simple as they come, but has several Bible references.
The second adds an internal cross reference.
The third has several definitions.

First the original from hard copy: (I point out the hard copy to show
how it was originally. My intention is not to work from it or use it for
corrections. This hardcopy is still under copyright, 1974)
ABBA, Father Mark 14:36; Rom. 8:15; Gal. 4:6.

The naves.zip and module has
(The only significant diff between the module and the zip is an extra
xref in the zip. Which is not present here.):
$$T0000006
\ABBA\

-Father
   #Mr 14:36; Ro 8:15; Ga 4:6|

(The significant difference is that the hardcopy has friendlier book
names and is layed out differently.)

OSIS:
While Naves is really simple for a dictionary, OSIS currently is really
lacking in elements that define the content of a dictionary entry. Some
of the things that are missing (I'm thinking ahead to Strongs):
A way to specify the word that is being defined.
A way to provide a pronounciation, alternate spellings,
transliterations, word forms.
A way to specify a list of definitions of that word and to provide
examples of each definition.
And a lot of other things that linguistical experts understand that I don't.

My thought is that we should markup as much as possible so that when
OSIS improves that we can use XSLT to transform to it. (The OSIS manual
says that it is going to "directly lift" the TEI dictionary stuff.) If
this seems to be a good idea, I will look at the TEI wrt dictionary
entries and try to emulate it with what markup that OSIS currently has.

(I am using whitespace and indentation for readability.)
      <list>
         <item>
                Father,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Mark.14.36">
                     Mark 14:36
                 </reference>;
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Rom.8.15">
                     Romans 8:15
                 </reference>;
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Gal.8.6">
                     Galatians 8:6
                 </reference>.
           </item>
       </list>

Another simple example this time with internal cross reference:
Book:
ABISHALOM. 1 Kings 15:2, 10. See ABSALOM

e-text (zip):
$$T0000045
\ABISHALOM\

-General scriptures concerning
   #1Ki 15:2,10|

-See ABSALOM
   <AF>T0000056

OSIS:
      <list>
         <item>
                General scriptures concerning, <!-- This is actually not
in the hardcopy! -->
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:1Kgs.15.2">
                     1 Kings 15:2
                 </reference>,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:1Kgs.15.10">
                     10
                 </reference>.
           </item>
      </list>
          See
           <reference osisRef="ABSALOM">
               ABSALOM
           </reference>

One that is a bit more complicated:
Book:
ABIMELECH.  1. King of Gerar, Gen. 20; 21:22-32.
2. King of Gerar, Gen. 26.
3. Son of Gideon, Judg. 8:31; 9; 2 Sam. 11:21.
4. See ACHISH; AHIMELECH.

e-text (zip):
$$T0000039
\ABIMELECH\

-1. King of Gerar
   #Ge 20; 21:22-32|

-2. King of Gerar
   #Ge 26|

-3. Son of Gideon
   #Jud 8:31; 9; 2Sa 11:21|

-4. ABIMELECH
  .See ACHISH
     <AF>T0000073
  .See AHIMELECH
     <AF>T0000167

OSIS:
      <list>
         <item>
             <label>
                 1.
             </label>
                King of Gerar,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Gen.20">
                     Genesis 20
                 </reference>,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Gen.21.22-32">
                     21:22-32
                 </reference>.
         </item>
         <item>
             <label>
                 2.
             </label>
                King of Gerar,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Gen.26">
                     Genesis 26
                 </reference>.
           </item>
         <item>
             <label>
                 3.
             </label>
                King of Gerar,
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Judg.8.31">
                     Judges 8:31
                 </reference>;
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:Judg.9">
                     Judges 9
                 </reference>;
                 <reference osisRef="Bible:2Sam.11.21">
                     2 Samuel 11:21
                 </reference>.
           </item>
         <item>
             <label>
                 4.
             </label>
                ABIMELECH, <!-- This is actually not in the hardcopy! -->
                 See
                  <reference osisRef="ACHISH">
                      ACHISH
                  </reference>