[sword-devel] Thai and Lucene

Adrian Korten adrian_korten at sil.org
Mon Feb 14 19:45:52 MST 2005

g'day,

I've been wondering whether Thai would benefit from Lucene. Even if it
does support utf-8, I doubt that Lucene supports Thai when no word
breaks are provided. Even if it had smarts to handle Thai word-breaking
like ICU, it would stumble over the Biblical words. Soooo, I haven't
tried it.

Is Lucene indexing primarily aimed at speeding up access to OSIS coded
text files? Or would it also work with the other formats? I've kept the
Thai modules in 'gbf' format to keep the file sizes down and search
speeds slightly faster.

ak