[sword-devel] conf utf-8

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 14 01:01:59 MST 2005

Adrian,
	This is great news!!!  I'd love to see a screenshot if you could post
one somewhere.  I've not succeeded in getting anything other than
latin-based languages to show up on the menus in Windows 2000.

	My guess about the characters which keep the .conf file from being
recognized... try adding a few newlines to the beginning of the file.  I
would guess that XXX[Section Name] at the beginning is just causing our
.conf reader to not recognize the "Section Name".

	Bad news about the on/off and other preference items.  They are pulled
straight from the sword engine, and CAN be translated, but the scheme we
use in the windows frontend depends on these strings remaining what the
sword engine is expecting when toggling.  It's a simple fix-- we just
need to translate and keep a mapping between what the engine wants and
the translation.  But it's not something that I can get in before this
trip.  If you have a chance, it would be great to have a bug item
something like: "i18n sword preferences", in our bug tracker for BibleCS.

	I also don't think the new lucene indexing will support Thai searching.
  They have code in the lucene engine for UTF8, but I believe it is very
fresh, and it doesn't compile cleanly for me.  Hope they will improve
this shortly.  We do pass UTF8 in for both indexing and searching, so it
might incidently work :)

	Thanks for the report!

		-Troy.