[sword-devel] New Accented Greek NT with Morph

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 08:00:59 MST 2005

Martin Gruner wrote:

>>     If you have a chance, could you please spend some time trying this
>>link with your browser and report your results and configuration AND
>>ANYTHING YOU DO (with fonts or otherwise) that improves your viewing of
>>the accented Bibles.
>>

>Hi,
>
>I tried this in Kate (based on QT 3, as Konqueror) and OpenOffice (based on
>libfreetype2). Both give similar results: Precomposed is perfect, decomposed
>displays ok (no boxes), but some accents are not visible or moved (such as
>the iota subscriptum, which is no real accent).
>
>So I’d suggest to stay with the recommendation to use precomposed, and perhaps
>offer a filter to decompose (ICU) for people needing it, that could also be
>activated on the website.
>
>Most important is using the right font. My recommendations: Gentium is good,
>but FreeFont (FreeSerif) is best.

I agree that Gentium is good if only Greek is being shown. If notes are
added to the module (e.g. for the variants) then Gentium is not a good
choice for displaying the notes. We cannot simply use a different font
for notes because some notes may contain more than one language, e.g.
English with Greek.

I'm not sure if OSIS has a mechanism to mark the "lang" for elements and
whether the language of individual words/phrases can be marked, without
changing the flow (i.e. need a span like element such as w). If we had
this then it would be possible to use fonts on a per language basis in a
module.

On a related note, in WLC the module is rtl but the notes should be ltr,
since they are in English. However, the notes do not indicate their
directionality. I don't think it is fair to assume that all notes will
be in English. They could have been in Hebrew.