[sword-devel] How about the OT's versification?

C. N. R. biblology at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 13:18:36 MST 2005

Dear Modules developers,

Does that mean that we have to await other SWORD engines and other compiling tools ? ...That also means that all the foreign modules, (like LXX, BHS etc.) should be rebuilt ?... Excuse me, but I don't understand the reason, since the texts are the same and only the versification differs. I think that reducing the texts to the same common denominator (i.e. the KJV's versification system, that is now the international standard not only for SWORD) is the best thing to do, and this guarantees the comparative / parallel reading for which the SWORD Project is intended to... Otherwise the commentaries, the cross-reference flashcards and links, and even the dictionaries wouldn't make any sense... Maybe I am a little conservative, but I feel this is the best way...

In the service of the Lord,
Catalin N. Ravaru

"Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe la crosswire.org> wrote:
Guys,
I'm not sure everyone is correctly being understood.

Chris' comment that there is no chance alt. versification schemes will
be supported in the engine was directed for THIS RELEASE: 1.5.8.

We have a roadmap online if you'd like to know the priority and
sequence we plan to add functionality like alt. versification.
http://crosswire.org/bugs/

Alt. versification functionality includes a mapping mechanism to sync
Bibles of different versification schemas. This is one of the hardest
parts, as alt. versification basic functionality was originally part of
the engine, but removed for performance gains-- and Daniel Glassey has
submitted yet another implementation of such.

We need an acronym for typing versification (v11n?) :)

Hope this clears things up.

-Troy.