[sword-devel] Bible in a Year Email app

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun May 23 23:01:52 MST 2004

Short answer: no, basically no one else has done this.

Long answer:
You could go about this in a number of different ways, depending on your
objectives.  I think most of the suggestions people have been posting
would lead to a very boring app, lacking customization, lacking
configurability, and generally not worth writing.  That kind of app might
be a good starting place, but you could build much more interesting
features into it.

Most suggestions mentioned using a listserv.  The problem with listserv is
that everyone will get a copy of the same email.  If you hooked this app
up to a database backend, the database could hold preferences for each
user and THEN you would have something truly unique and worth writing.

Preferences could include:
-- user-selectable translation(s)
-- per-user start dates, since not everyone will start reading on the
first day such a service becomes available
-- user-selectable time spans, since some people may want to read the
whole Bible in only 6 months or may want to take 2 years
-- user-selectable ranges, to allow a user to specify that he only wants
to read the Gospels, but wants to finish in a month
-- OT/NT alternating vs. OT then NT selection

I think this could be a very valuable service.  You should definitely talk
to David Trotz about his reading planner, since there is a lot of
similarity.  And you may want to consider integrating some of the sign-up
interface with the Sword web interface
(http://www.crosswire.org/sword/biblenew/index.jsp).

--Chris