[sword-devel] Re: [spam] RE: OSIS 2.0.1 modules updated

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:04:06 +1000

At 12:38 19-03-04, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>Michael,
>
><snip>
>>
>> I disagree. The rendering process should never add any punctuation
>> due
>> to the q element when the n="" parameter is specified. The
>> rendering
>> process should be free to decide how to render Jesus words , i. e.
>> the
>> same as normal text, red letters, bold, dark purple, or anything
>> reasonable. It would not bother me in the slightest to have people
>> ignore the q elements as given above entirely upon rendition, but
>> if
>> they do use them, it would be incorrect to generate any punctuation
>> from those markers when n="" is specified.
>
><snip>
>
>I think we largely agree and where we don't agree the standard
>provides
>the freedom for you do things they way you need to.

Well, it will if you put document the n="" parameter as we discussed.

>I agree that if a translator purposely omits (does not put quote
>marks
>where you might expect them to occur) quote marks for some quotes but
>puts/includes them in other places that information/those decisions
>MUST
>be retained in the OSIS encoding.

Thank you.

>Where I think we disagree is that I don't believe that the translator
>(in almost every case) is the one who determines on a quote mark by
>quote mark basis to not render (not add/omit) quote marks around red
>letter text in a red letter edition and to render (add/not omit)
>quote
>marks in an all black letter edition.  The only red letter edition
>that
>I can find that omits quote marks is a King James Edition (my copy of
>the RSV and NIV render red quote marks).  I strongly suspect that the
>translators of the KJV did not participate in the decision making
>process.

I am really confused why you would think that I said that. I never
said that a translation should use or not use quotation punctuation
based on if it is a red letter or black letter edition. That would
really be bizarre, to my way of thinking. What I did say are two
totally unrelated things:

1. I want all quotation punctuation to be included verbatim in the
text, not markup, of the OSIS document. I don't want any punctuation,
including quotation marks, to be handled as a rendering issue.

2. I want to mark the words of Jesus Christ in such a way that people
have a choice to render Jesus' quotes in red or not.

I want BOTH #2 AND #1 to be true at the same time.

>I personally would NOT omit quote marks when rendering a red letter
>edition, but would render red quote marks.  I hope I never see an
>OSIS
>Bible that omits all of the quote marks (by using n="") on every
>occurrence of a quote of Jesus and I am only able to render with only
>black letters.

Why, pray tell, would you only be able to render with black letters?
The quote marks would NOT be omitted, they would be included in the
text. The markup would clearly show where the quotes of Jesus start
and end. The n="" means "don't insert any punctuation regarding this
quote." It does not mean "don't turn this quote red."

What do I have to do to unlink "optional red" from '"'?