[sword-devel] virus

Dan Adams sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:54:48 -0700

Well, I have PGP, not the one from the link below. When I tried clicking on
the thing and telling it to download the person's key from the key server,
it told me what is below. I do agree that the mailing list software seems to
alter the messages in some way. When I test it by signing a message of my
own and sending it to myself, that did seem to work. But only when going
through the list does it have problems.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: sword-devel-admin@crosswire.org
[mailto:sword-devel-admin@crosswire.org] On Behalf Of Michael Paul Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 4:53 PM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] virus

*** PGP SIGNATURE VERIFICATION ***
*** Alert:    Signature did not verify. Message has been altered.
*** Alert:    Please verify signer's key before trusting signature.
*** Signer:   Michael Paul Johnson <mpj@ebible.org> (0x17D747BB)
*** Signed:   3/3/2004 4:53:17 PM
*** Verified: 3/3/2004 7:51:31 PM
*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***

At 18:19 03-03-04, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>OK, MPJ,
>       I clicked on the little autoinstaller thing at:
>
>http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download.html
>
>       I wish more software installed plugins like this.  It really went
>       well.
>  So... After installing, I came back to read your signed message and
>  it
>told me to click OK button to download public key from key server:
>wwwkeys.pgp.net  I did, and then it said: Bad signature from Michael
>Paul Johnson <mpj@ebible.org>

Interesting.... I went back and checked the signature on the message I
sent after it had gone through the mailing list, and it failed the
check for me, too. However, the copy in my out box passed the test. I
think that something in the mailing list software or mail handling
somewhere altered the message-- maybe just white space or line breaks,
because I didn't notice a difference in the words.

>       I have pretty new buttons in netscape mail now, though :)

Enjoy the pretty buttons. <grin>

*** END PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***