[sword-devel] pollo xml editor - handy tool I've found...

Benedykt P. Barszcz kb2qzv at poczta.wp.pl
Sun Jun 6 14:15:02 MST 2004

OK, now I've found this editor (pollo.sf.net) which got cleanly
installed on my Fedora Core 2 (actually you just unzip it into a
directory, that's it!). You need j2re-1.4.x for it.

What do we get with it?
Any XML W3 Schema can be used with it to help edit a document.
It show you available tags and proper context for each element/attribute
once you assign osisCore.2.0.1.xsd to your document. This is good. I was
looking for it.

There are only two drawbacks:
1. Very slow with large files
2. Something not working with validation. It complains about unexpected
  attribute "xmlns" - which is odd.

I'll give you more info once I get used to it.

On another note, Pollo will not allow you to even start to look at your
text if it is not well formed . At least minimal proper OSIS declaration
is required for a text to be displayed. Which presents a little problem
for a newbie.

But one can easily start with a blank page and once the OSIS declaration
is there one can cut and paste into Pollo the required text/document.

I consider it a great success given the fact how hard I wanted to find
something similar.
Maybe it would be appropriate to point to it on the OSIS/SWORD web sites?

Has anyone tried that (Pollo) before?

Benedict

PS. Customization is possible: you can define the file type (osisCore
file) and the schema to use it with (osisCore.1.1.1.xsd). After that
it's just point & click job to tag documents...

Great.