[sword-devel] sword:// URL formats

Will Thimbleby sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:20:36 +0000

At the moment with MacSword I use a slightly strange URL format:

I send the options as the user, separated by &. Bit of a kludge but
allows me to have persistent options easily within the url. I did use
the query but it's not persistent.

eg.
sword://Strong's%20Numbers@KJV/2tim1
sword://Cross-references&Headings@ISV/j3

As the module you can also use default names 'Bible', 'Commentary'
(actually the same at the moment), 'StrongsGreek', 'StrongsHebrew',
'MorphGreek', 'MorphHebrew'. I think these should probably be changed
not to conflict the module names perhaps by appending a character like
">StrongsGreek".

Also I had a way of specifying the default bible so
sword://Bible/ASV/j3 would specify a bible preferably ASV at john 3.
This is not quite ideal as it changes the format of the urls, perhaps
Bible=ASV might work.

One last thing MacSword does/should do is if it can't find a module it
uses the default bible. So sword:///j3 works fine.

I think it would be good to fix this for MacSword. And it would be
really good if any of you had good ideas on how the url format could be
improved and perhaps made consistent across programs.

Cheers -Will