[sword-devel] Copyright and locked modules

Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:39:13 -0700

	Not to discourage anyone, just to restate the positions that have been
stated many times before in private and public:

	CrossWire does not support ANY commercial (including 10% markup)
selling of sword modules by any 3rd party.  There are a number of
reasons for this, among only a few: a) it confuses the issue of who
content creators need to deal with; b) what official relation this party
has with CrossWire; c) clouds the image and purpose of CrossWire; and
honestly d) it ticks me off that people want to make any money from the
countless hours we've sacrificed over the years to bring this software
to Bible Societies, other ministries, and our end users with no money
involved.  This is the keynote of our ministry.

	If a publisher wishes to sell their own texts, we will support them as
much as we can, just short of taking the money and delivering it to them.

	We would prefer to have copyright holders give their texts away for
free, obviously, but feel they know their ministry better than us, and
if they feel they need to charge, then that is between them and the Lord.

	CrossWire DOES support OSIS markup directly.  To say: we do our best
and have every intention of supporting fully the OSIS specification and
any OSIS encoded documents for use with our software.  As Chris has
stated, it is technically by import into a normalized OSIS markup and
compressed.

	I am convinced that if we had someone with the professionalism and time
necessary to put into researching and contacting the proper individuals
in the proper way, many copyright holders would be inclined to take your
money, as they probably already have methods of electonic distribution
and sales.

	And to conclude, this isn't an offical announcement, but Lockman has
agree to sell the NASB for SWORD, as soon as we finish work on it, and
they have been extremely surprised and grateful that we don't want
royalties for 'ALLOWING them to distribute their text in our format'.  I
think this example will be extremely conducive to convincing other
organizations to do the same.

	-Troy A. Griffitts.

PS.  Someone please link to this in the wiki FAQs