[sword-devel] Help appreciated with French (was: Locked Bible Versions)

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:53:41 -0700

> 1. Locked Bible Versions (French) (Adrian Frost)

> Is anyone working on getting any of the French bible versions unlocked for
> use with the SWORD Project? I work in French speaking Belgium and I'm
> available to help in contacting publishers of French versions. My French
is
> good enough to be of service if you don't have any francophones working on
> the project. I have friends and contacts within the Belgian Christian
> Evangelical bookshop system who may be able to help.
> Having those versions available would be very useful to me personally too.

Hi Adrian,

I was hoping you could help out the LcdBible project with some
quick/dirty/adequate French internationalization. LcdBible has an "Options
..." dialog with a relatively small number of options. It would be much
appreciated to get reasonable translations of these words/phrases. Barry
Drake provided his best guestimates, and perhaps you could suggest
appropriate revisions, as applicable:

> On 6 Jan 2004 at 10:16, Lynn Allan wrote:

> English                       French (Drake)         French (Adrian :-)
> Case Sensitive
> Case Insensitive
?? Capitalization Matters ??
?? Capitalization Taken Into Account ??
> All Words                   Tous les Mots
> Any Word                  Mot Simple
> Exact Words              Mots Exact
> Font              Police de Caractères
> Small                         Petit
> Medium                     Normal
> Large                        Grand
> Entire Bible                Le plein bible   (or) Le Bible Entire
> New Testament         Nouveau Testament
> Old Testament           Vieux Testament
> Gospels                     Les évangiles
> Search From              Cherché de ....
> Beginning                  Comencement
> Current Chapter         Chapitre actuel
> Each word                 Chaque mot
Yes
No

> Here are the words I can offer with just a chance a French speaker
> would understand them!  I have no idea how to say 'Case' (sensitive
> or insensitive) - that's a bit too technical for me.  And there are no
> absolute guarantees with the ones I have offered above.  Hope this
> helps!  I can't imagine how to say 'All words or any' either.  Sorry,
> but my limited French gets me food in supermarkets, and meals in
> restaurants and that type of thing.
>

> God bless,
> Barry

Also, anyone with adequate Spanish, German, Dutch, Swahili, etc.: please
send in your translations of the above words/phrases and/or contact me :-)

For His glory and honor,
Lynn A.
l.allan@att.net