[sword-devel] Making module from non-Biblical OSIS text?

Chuck Bearden sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:15:16 -0600

First, to the developers: God bless you for the work you've done on
Sword.  It's pretty wonderful to be able fire up BibleTime in
WindowMaker.

Second, I'm trying to understand how to make modules out of theological
texts marked up in OSIS.  The instructions at
<http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/swordmodule/index.jsp> seem to
be a bit out of sync with the utilities provided in the current
distribution.  As a test, I downloaded the OSIS file containing
Augustine's "Sermon on the Mount; Harmony of the Gospels; Homilies on
the Gospels" and ran the osis2mod utility against it.  It seems to
assume Scripture as input, because it produced four files: nt, nt.vss,
ot, and ot.vss.  nt and ot are empty, the .vss files contain binary
data.  How should I handle input texts that don't fall naturally into OT
& NT?

Third, is there any documentation of the target format for the modules?
I'm curious as to what features it supports.  I'm interested in manually
adding markup for internal links from e.g. a TOC to chapters & sections
listed in the TOC.

Fourth, I tried to build sword-1.5.7 on my Debian box, and it seems to
have choked on installmgr:

  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -DUSE_AUTOTOOLS -DUNIX
  -DGLOBCONFPATH=\"/opt/local/sword-1.5.7/etc/sword.conf\" -g -O2
  -ftemplate-depth-25 -DCURLAVAILABLE -DUSELUCENE -MT installmgr.lo -MD
  -MP -MF .deps/installmgr.Tpo -c ../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC
  ../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp: In member function `char
     sword::InstallMgr::FTPURLGetFile(void*, const char*, const char*)':
  ../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp:153: error: `TRUE' undeclared (first use this
     function)
  ../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp:153: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
  reported
     only once for each function it appears in.)
  make[2]: *** [installmgr.lo] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cbearden/apps/sword-1.5.7/lib'
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cbearden/apps/sword-1.5.7'
  make: *** [all] Error 2

'configure' was only invoked with the '--prefix' argument (didn't
want to conflict with the Debian package), after which I typed
'make'.  I'm running Sarge, and I think I have just about everything one
would need to build most things.  I don't know C or C++, so I'm not sure
of the significance of this error.

Again, thanks for all your hard work!

Best wishes,
Chuck Bearden