[sword-devel] Converting files

Chuck Bearden cfbearden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:08:54 MST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:55:32 -0700 (MST), chrislit at crosswire.org
<chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> You could encode every document with <div> and <span> elements, and be as
> explicit as you like with thousands of class attributes. But that wouldn't
> make HTML structural markup, and it wouldn't help in the least with
> conversion from HTML to GBF/ThML/OSIS since there are no encoding
> standards or conventions for structural markup of Bibles in HTML.

I think if the <div>s and <span>s are in the right places and have
class attribute values that give the necessary structural and semantic
information, you could use XSLT to generate a document in which much
(if not all) of the OSIS markup had been done.  Of course, in doing
this you would have invested a great deal of work in marking up the
HTML document with the class attributes, when it might have been
better just to start over marking up the bare text with OSIS and then
transforming to HTML.

Chuck