[sword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 07:38:09 MST 2004

So as not to bury the lead, I am putting my question at the beginning of
the e-mail: How should I determine whether an OSIS module has verse
markup or not? I am cross posting this (please let me know if this is
not appropriate)

I have read some posts on sword-devel for information on verse markup
and I noted some discussion on how verses should be marked.

I am working on J-Sword (the java port of the Sword Engine) and I loaded
WLS, the BHS replacement, and J-Sword started to display the verse
numbers twice.

I looked into the module and the verses are all marked up in the
following fashion (This is English markup around Hebrew text and the
Hebrew may not survive the posting):
<verse osisID="Gen.1.1">בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃</verse>

In KJV w/ Strongs it is not surrounded with <verse> markup:
<w lemma="x-Strongs:H07225">In the beginning</w> <w
lemma="x-Strongs:H0430">God</w> <w morph="x-StrongsMorph:TH8804"
lemma="x-Strongs:H0853|x-Strongs:H01254">created</w> <w
lemma="x-Strongs:H08064">the heaven</w> <w

At first I thought that the indexing of KJV was a bit lossy and did not
include the <verse> markup in the indexing, but I decompressed the
entirety of Genesis and found that there were no verse markers.

Anyway JSword assumes that the module does not contain verse markers and
adds them. When it comes to WLS, it is in there twice.

Chris Little wrote in a thread on sword-devel:
 > Just check the OSISVersion entry in the .conf.  The new modules are
 > tagged with OSISVersion=2.0.1.  Other OSIS modules won't have this tag
 > at all and most of them would be tagged as OSISVersion=1.1.1, if we
 > went back and added the metadata to them.  So you can assume that if
 > OSISVersion >= 2 then ALL tags from the OSIS document are supposed to
 > be in the Sword module, including <verse> tags.

I don't see that attribute in the conf for WLS. I saw that Sword handles
  WLS and KJV correctly.

With J-Sword, we build OSIS and render it with XSLT into HTML. I guess
we could parse the text to see if it contains verse markup and not add
it if it does. Any suggestions?