[sword-devel] intro & rpm spec file

Michael A. Peters sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:38:10 -0700

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:21, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 08 April 2004 10:14 am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > One thing I noticed is the %make macro does not work with Fedora, or
> > with vanilla (unpatched by distro) rpm.
> >
> > %__make does
> > Is %__make supported on distro's that currently also use %make ?
>
> Mandrake has custom build macros that do a better job of setting up the build
> environment. All those are though is build macros. you could add them
> yourself to your rpmmacros file so that when you build you have things a
> little more automatic.

The issue though is that it makes the spec file dependent upon third
party macros since they aren't "vanilla" macros.

%__make simply expands to /usr/bin/make (I _assume_ it expands to
wherever gnu make is typically installed on the *nix variant but I'm not
positive about that) - I'm not sure what mandrake's %make expands to,
I'll have boot my mandrake live CD and see.

CPU optimizations etc. can be used in Fedora/vanilla rpm with the
%optflags macro which is called by the %configure macro.

So if %configure is used - whatever the default %optflags are specified
in the .rpmmacros (or system config) are in fact used - in my case, the
%optflags expands to -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 (and is set as
both CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in %configure)

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/