[sword-devel] Re: Accented Greek NT (Westcott-Hort)

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:23:49 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, R.J.C. van Haaften wrote:

> Troy wrote:
> >We have a new module available for testing on the alpha pages:
> <...>
> >I hope it will be a great resource.  I'd love get feedback, ideas, and
> >thoughts about it.  Much gratitude to all involved; once again, a truely
> >beautiful picture of God using His whole Body for a purpose.
>
> It looks great, except that my Win2k machine just puts a square
> box in place of the accented characters. What (unicode) font should
> I use? What fonts are suitable (that is: which unicode fonts support
> all greek characters, including accented ones)? If no suitable fonts
> are available in Win2k, is it possible to get one from the internet?
>
> Rijk-Jan

I use TITUS Cyberbit, which looks pretty nice at point sizes 14 and above.
You can google for it.

I suspect that the problem is either that the text is encoded using the
Extended Greek codepoints or the RTF control is transcoding them to use
these points.  I'm pretty sure the whole Extended Greek section violates
the recommendation that data be normalized as NFC.  It also makes
searching more problematic if we don't use NFC internally.  So, that said,
when we transcode the text to use Greek + combining marks instead of
precomposed characters, it might work fine with even Times New Roman.

--Chris