[sword-devel] Re: OSIS Web tool - Tabbed Navigation

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:07:04 -0500

I concur with Andrew on all his observations and with those who commented on
the color scheme. The colors were never intended to be permanent. My main
concern was to create semantically marked up HTML so that we could do all
the style through the external CSS.

I took a few minutes this morning to create new CSS for the header and
navigation. I removed the table from within the <h1> tag. Tables should be
used to display tabular data, not for presentational positioning. Instead, I
positioned the OSIS logo as a background image in the header.

Since the navigation is marked up as a list of links, its relatively simple
to change the look of them. the only change I made was to add a id="current"
to the current location. this way we can style the link differently
depending on the users location. this will help the usability issue Andrew
mentioned. When he gets up to get coffee and comes back, he should be able
to tell where he is now because the tab is selected.  Speaking of coffee..
BRB.

Where were we? Oh yes, I see the tab. :) If we wanted it to stand out even
more we could color it or whatever.

I left the rest of the page unstyled for now. See what ya'll think:
http://elbourne.org/sword/osisweb/tabbednav.html

(Troy, I'm sorry, I must have misplaced the info on how to get to my
'sandbox' or whatever it is called)

That's all I have time for this morning. Ya'll are doing a great job on this
thing. To God be the glory.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org