[sword-devel] Microsoft SDK provides free non-gui C++ compiler and nmake: has anyone tried to build BibleCS (Win32) with it?

Victor Porton sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:51:32 +0500 (YEKT)

On 30-Oct-2003 Chris Little wrote:
> You need BCB in order to build BibleCS.  We use VCL, which is not
> included with Borland C++ Complier 5.5 and definitely not with any MS
> products.
>
> I don't think building with free tools has ever been a stated goal.
> Sure, it would be nice, but it's not practical for Win32 development,

Some excellent free tools combinations for Windows allowing to do GUI
development rather efficiently:

- Ada95 (GNAT compiler) + GWindows (high level GUI bindings, can work
efficiently without RC files). Soon expected a free full featured GUI
development suite.

- Some C++ + VXCL GUI library (Well, no GUI builder);

- GCC C or C++ (I don't know whether other compilers work) + GTK2 GUI
library (Well, needs big runtime to work and produces not standard Windows
applications.) Also has Glade-2 (a great UI builder).

> and it's really not that important, considering that most Win32 users
> would rather just have a binary and don't care at all what kind of
> source licensing is involved.

Free tools brings more _programmers_ into development, especially
programmers from poor countries who may have the same skills but earn about
100 times less than US programmers.

--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com; http://ex-code.com)