[sword-devel] OSIS Web tool - unicode

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:41:22 -0600

Whatever needs to be done, the current situation is pretty unbearable.
I'm guess that any module encoded as UTF-8 is being rendered with Code
2000--which looks horrible for Latin.  Since our goal (with Sword) is to
get all data into Latin, this is a problem that's going to get worse
with time.  It's also just a generally bad solution since Code 2000
doesn't encode all of the codepoints we use in all UTF-8 encoded
modules.  (So we're forcing people to use a font that is frequently
incompatible with the module or unattractive to the point of not being
readable.)  Letting the browser figure out which font to use worked a
lot better for me under Windows (which, let's face it, most of the
target audience will be using).

BTW, with XHTML 1.1, the lang attribute is no longer valid.  xml:lang
must be used instead.

--Chris