[sword-devel] Does internationalization work on windoze?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:59:43 -0500

Lynn Allan wrote:

> Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know:
> * Does internationalization work with the windoze version of Sword?

First, ICU != i18n.  We could use it for that purpose, but for the most
part we do not.  We use it primarily for all the basic Unicode support
that should be included in standard C++ libraries but isn't, like
transcoding and Unicode string objects.

> The reason I ask:
> I'm trying to rebuild diatheke and ActiveDiatheke from "scratch", including
> the ICU versions. This involves libsword.icu and libsword6icu.lib
>
> There seem to be multiple borland project files for the libraries. Most
> won't compile, so I suppose they are either flawed, or I don't know what I'm
> doing (quite likely). It troubles me that the only .bpr's that work for ICU
> are in a directory named "AS_IS". Once I get libsword6icu.lib to build, I'm
> having nothing but grief trying to build the ICU version of diatheke.

They may be flawed to Borland C++ Builder 6.0.  We haven't yet switched
over to 6.0 as our development platform.  (If I had to predict, I would
say we probably never will, since BuilderX is on its way.)

The Borland project files were done by me, so they aren't part of the
official ICU distribution, so they don't have a place in the normal ICU
tree, so they are provided "as_is".  If/when we submit the project files
to ICU for inclusion in their official tree, I strongly believe they
will go in the exact same location since they are not one of their
primary/supported platforms.

> Does internationalization work with the windoze version? Should I "cease and
> desist" trying to build the "Win32 ICU Release" version? Can you tell what
> I'm doing wrong?
>
> * Is there a way to let the Borland C++Builder know to use the ICU
> configuration? I know how to do this with VisualStudio, but only see options
> for "release" and "debug" for C++Builder? The compiler complains about
> unresolved link problems.
>
> * Am I missing (or not seeing) a .bpr that is specifically for the ICU
> version of diatheke?
>
> * Do you have to build libsword6icu.lib with Borland C++Builder 6.0, and
> then use VisualC++ to build the ICU version of diatheke.exe?

If you have MSVC, I don't know why you're wasting your time with Borland
tools.  Just build everything in MSVC.

--Chris