[sword-devel] OSIS Web tool

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:47:29 -0500

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>I have not worked with Unicode in web pages much so I admit my ignorance.
>>Chris investigated this a while back and I thought he had added the
>>document encoding in the meta tag. But I don't see it now.
>

> Yes, that's fine. That is for the browser to see that the page is in uTF8.
> But if "foreign" chars like Hebrew appear in the page we have to make the text
> use a special unicode font which has all the required unicode characters. So
> I wrap the unicode text with a span and set the right font-family there.
> Often unicode needs a larger font-size because unicode chars are hard to see
> if it's hebrew or something similair.

Don & Joachim,

Is this really necessary?  (Have you seen text displayed incorrectly
using a browser?)

Font selection is essentially the browser's job.  I'm not sure if that's
necessarily so, but both MSIE and Mozilla select fonts on the basis of
scripts used in a document.

If we need to do something more complex, since we have ICU at our
disposal, we can tag strings of text as using specific scripts, then
specify fonts in the CSS on that basis.

--Chris