[sword-devel] Collaboration

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:34:23 -0700

Wolfgang,
	Before addressing any of the specifics, let me first say that I would
love to work together with you to produce free Bible software.
CrossWire, as a community, is aimed at this purpose-- moreso than to any
technology which we decide to use.  Know that you have our resources and
support at your use.

	One of the driving goals for our engine is to be scalable and
crossplatform.  I'm not sure what technology you've decided on for your
project, but I would think C++ and Java would be at the top of the list
in this area.

	Our engine has the beginnings of supporting OSIS markup (XML).  And
yes, I agree with you, since there are a number of ways to encode a
valid OSIS document, I tend to favour keeping all that logic in an
import utility that 'normalizes' it into our preferred OSIS markup (or
even internal extension of such).

	We have a filter mechanism in our engine that allows texts to be handed
back to the programmer in a number a supported formats.  I'm not sure
exactly what you mean by 'biblesoftware based on xml files', but be
assured that you can 'ask' the engine for, at least a few, XML formats,
currently.

	Plain, raw XML is not ideal, at least in my opinion, for our
applications of working with data.  It's an excellent archival and
interchange format, but for realtime interaction and processing it has
some of these problems:

	o Many duplicated tokens (e.g. word level markup) that make file sizes
huge, not catering to PDAs and other devices with storage limitations.

	o Top down processing to know what 'level' and other 'context' you are
within a document, which makes segmentation retrieval and display difficult.

	It seems to me that using XML as a base document for your software will
require many indices and other auxiliary files being build based on the
document to allow fast retrieval and context hints.  My conclusion would
be that, it seems, if you are going to preprocess the document anyway,
it might be best to use a compressed, or otherwise optimized format
suited to your software needs.  Preserving the original XML document
doesn't seem to be beneficial.

	And obviously, that's the road we've gone down.  We know the value of
XML, and hopefully have found it's place in our software.

	Having said all of this, I just want to restate, we would LOVE to
colabor with you for our Lord!  We definitely NEED someone to own the
OSIS import support and other XML processing tasks in the engine.

	Thank you for your consideration and God's best to you in your
endeavours for Him, where ever He leads you,

		-Troy.