[sword-devel] Searching other languages

Thu, 29 May 2003 13:14:46 -0700

Will,
	Currently the engine does not do MUCH logic when comparing string in
the search.  You can operate on the assumption that all modules are UTF8
encoded (though I don't know if absolutely ever module is), so sending a
UTF8 steam to the seach method should produce the appropriate results.
In the windows engine, we have a search edit box that is used for typing
in the search string.  We ask that edit box for UTF8 data.  If we cut
from, say the Chinese Bible, and paste into the edit box, it performs
the search correctly.  There will be problems with the fact that some
combining character may be represented as a precomposed character, but
ask in the search box as a multiple combining character-- this will not
match.  But basicly, the answer is pass UTF8 text as the search term.

	Hope this helps,
		-Troy.