[sword-devel] Print Bible Features

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 16:26:22 -0500

My apologies. For the most part all of my writing is from the English
speaking, English Bible perspective. Protestant also. If this was
misleading, forgive me.

Chris Little wrote:

>>>Got that.
>>
>>Where?  Besides the ISV?
>
> I don't recall, so I couldn't tell you.  However, we have included them
> with every Bible that we have made since the ISV that included section
> headings in its data files.
>
> These are most definitely not universal.  They are language-specific,
> versification-specific, and translation-specific.  OLB took paragraph
> information from a commentary and applies it universally to all of its
> Bibles with the effect that they are virtually all wrong.  If we applied
> section headings universally, there is a 100% chance that they would be
> incorrect for all modules except that from which they were culled.

While I oversimplified everything tremendously, I think this is over
complicating. Now I only have the unlocked English, LXX, Vulgate, IGNT
and Spanish texts on Sword on my Windows PC so I can't speak for all
versions. But for those versions I can read (English) if I go to Matthew
5:1 I see the Sermon on the Mount in all of them. And every verse I
remember seeing was comparable.

Are the KJV, ASV, NASB, NIV, etc. that significantly different?
And this is a small number of the English ones in Sword.
And yes I do know some of the modern translations are missing certain
verses relative to the KJV, but I don't think that would be significant
enough to warrant major problems. I may be wrong.

I am not qualified to speak on non-English translations.

>>Yes, presentation is a frontend issue. But is a distilled set of
>>cross-references available in Sword or elsewhere?
>
> These are included in Bibles that include them.  Again, thes are NOT
> universal.
>
> Would it make sense for a Protestant Bible to include references to the
> Apocrypha?  Would it make sense for a Catholic Bible not to?  This is just
> the broadest different, but every Bible will have a different set unless
> two copy from the same source (which is uncommon).

Again this applies to the information I addressed above pertaining to a
set of English Bibles. Are there problems applying this to that set?

Would there be problems applying the same data to the non-Apocryphal
texts of the Catholic Bibles? And for those interested creating similar
super-set references for Apocrypha?

>>>In what way?  You can print parallel passage information in a note
>>>embedded within the section heading, as with the ISV.  Other than that,
>>>gospel harmonies are not part of Bibles, they're exterior works (e.g the
>>>Fourfold Gospel, which we do have albeit in a different order from its
>>>most natural.
>>
>>Yes they are exterior as is much of what is in Sword.
>
> As I said, they can be included, if the Bible includes them.  Most do not,
> by their translators' choice.

Again speaking about English versions. I don't know if I own a Bible
which doesn't have it. As I said I (my family) read the KJV. But we have
many, from many publishers. So I can't say what NIV, NASB, etc. have.

As to what a Bible has per se when speaking of extra Biblical items,
Sword is what the contributors make it, not what the publishers of
Bibles make it. This is or is not include in Sword at the discretion of
the Sword project managers.

>>>aka book introductions: Got that.  (not included in all texts because the
>>>data was either unavailable or the module was produced before import of
>>>introductions was possible.
>>
>>Where?
>>
>>To me this should be general and not specific to a version of text.
>>The intro, history, etc of a book doesn't change due to Bible version.
>
> Absolutely this is version-specific.  First, of course, there's the
> language issue.  When Bible translators include an introduction, we
> include them.  There are introductions to two books (Hebrews & Revelation
> I believe) in the EMTV we posted recently.

Downloading now, will look at EMTV later.

For books in any language having these in that language would be version
specific?

How does an intro for the NIV differ from the KJV. Is Matthew no longer
Matthew? Is Genesis no longer Genesis?

My apologies if I see more commonness than difference.

Did I just mislead that much and I'm miscommunicating?
I may lack significant knowledge.
Am I missing something?
If I am please enlighten me.

I understand non-English versions would have to be created for their
appropriate texts. I do not know about commonalities in non-English texts.

>>>As a form of markup, sure, you could mark this.  When it actually becomes
>>>and issue and someone marks a text with this data, we can add support to
>>>the engine very quickly & easily, since it's just presentation markup
>>>issue.
>>
>>Do you know of available lists of such references.
>
> I don't.
>
>>Good information. Thanks. I am looking for an older ASV. A clean history
>>would be best. How old does any book we harvest have to be?
>
> The best source is an edition printed before the earliest date when
> copyright would still be valid.  You can consult this page:
> http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm .

Good info.

Thanks again.

Jimmie Houchin