[sword-devel] Wanted: Font developers

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 20:19:49 -0700 (MST)

Do we have any font developers lurking out there, who might be interested
in working on a font for CrossWire/The SWORD Project?

I'm running into a lot of problems finding suitable fonts for some
modules, partly because most fonts are still targeting Unicode 2.x (at
best).  Code2000 has good codepoint support--I'm sure it will support
Unicode 4.0 very soon if it doesn't already--but most people I've heard
from don't like the appearance of its Latin characters.  And I don't know
of any single font that supports Latin characters in Plane 1 along with
Latin/Greek/Hebrew from Plane 0.

So... anyone interested?  I'd love to work on this myself, but since I
have absolutely no typeface design experience, I'm probably not the best
person for the job.

What I'm ultimately looking for is something to cover all of the Latin,
Greek, & Hebrew ranges (optionally excluding deprecated characters like
most of the Extended Greek range), plus combining diacritics,
punctionation, etc.

And if anyone can point out nice looking fonts (i.e. not Vera) that
permit modification & redistribution, that would be helpful too since they
could potentially serve as a basis.

--Chris