[sword-devel] Unicode Plane 1 test module

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 9 May 2003 15:04:03 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> I checked it, it doesn't work out of the box. It would be helpful to
> have some more input on this matter. Is it internally utf8, utf16 or
> utf32? Are the Plane 1 codepoints defined in UTF-8? In BibleTime we use
> the Qt function QString::fromUTF8() to get unicode text.

It is UTF-8 internally.  (Regarding what I said about how I fixed it in
BibleCS... Windows used UTF-16 interally and even then, surrogates, which
are required for anything beyond 0xFFFF, are only supported by Windows
2000 and Windows XP.  So to display in Windows, we have to convert the
UTF-8 into its codepoint value (UTF-32) and then into UTF-16.  Then the
UTF-16 is converted to RTF like we did with all other codepoints.)

There is one thing I probably should have mentioned: The only font I am
aware of that supports the Plane 1 Gothic range (0x10330-0x1034F) is
Code2001--not Code2000. Changing the font may turn out to solve the
problem for you.

--Chris