[sword-devel] An apology ......

Johan Kok sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 21:42:14 +0200

Joel,

Accepting your statement. To provide you some background. After Barry
objected to me personally, as stated in the snipped, I requested him to
forward that to the Dr. Hermanson, praying that the combination of these
might bring about a change of heart which it actually did. Not only did the
sword project try in to make an electronic copy available in the past, but I
was involved with another group on the same matter, as was a few others I
knew in the past, and there was no turning them then.

However I think it will suffice to say that the SA Bible Society agreed that
SWORD can publish the Afrikaans translations on the internet, with the
following statement:

"The copyright text of the 1933/53 translation of the Bible in Afrikaans is
usually subject to the payment of copyright fees, particularly when included
on a CD which is offered for sale. We have however, agreed that the text may
be offered for free download to use with Sword software, on the condition
that the following words appear in an appropriate position on the website:
"This copyright Bible has kindly been made available by the Bible Society of
South Africa. To contribute towards the distribution of affordable Bibles in
South Africa Click: http://www.biblesociety.co.za/contributions.htm."

This will then make it possible for you to offer an electronic Bible in
Afrikaans to those who require it, and at the same time give them the
opportunity to help us in our mission to make affordable Bibles available to
all in South Africa."

He did make a further comment on the fact that they are doing some more
translations into African language, e.g. Southern Ndebele, which still does
not have a full bible in their language for which they do require funds.
They are totally dependant on donations for their work.

I do believe that we actually bridged a major gap and should now try to
build onto this "new relationship" with them. We do have the change to make
that an example for the others still holding onto their "copyright
protections", and maybe able to guide more into the wider use of technology
for the advancement of the Word of God.

That does not go so say that I would at all change my attitude (nor the
verbalising of such -- which I believe was an inspiration from above this
time around) that the Word of God should be free from restrictions in any
form whatsoever, of which copyrights is just one aspect. Just happened to be
His instrument for this one, abother day He may use somebody else.

It is good to tell you all: It's been some years since I looked at the Sword
site. I was downloading some Linux applications when I came accross a Java
based application that referenced the site, and then decide to give that a
try. Being on the Linux server I did not have any bible text on that, so I
went to the SWORD site to download a translation or two to test the Jave
software with. Right on top of the list was Afrikaans, being locked. I
wondered why and ended up on the Copyright page, remembering the past, and
knowing a little SA law, decided to advice Sword that the copyright of the
1953 are about to lapse. I think I copied that to the Bible Society as well,
who did reply. A snipped (already toned down by a business partner of mine)
of my reply was copied to the list. I must admit that, based on past
history, I was not confident at all on the possible success. However, once
again, I believe that my going to the Sword site was by His providence and
then achieving the above agreement, was not our work but His work, because
only God could have known that the time and conditions for a change of heart
on the matter was right, and He brought the right conditions to surface to
bridge the issue with the SA Bible society.

Thank our God and the Saviour for braking down this barrier.

In His Name
Johan Kok
(Messianic Tentmaker by His provision in the name of Y'shua)