[sword-devel] Porting to MS .NET framework

John T. Gardner Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 09:18:59 -0700

I wish I had the time.  I've been doing C++ but really like C#.  Really cuts down the development time, builds really fast (in VS), it is easier to maintain strong exception safety guarantees, and performance is great too (even graphics, RT not a problem).  We tried Java for here but because we write software that displays RT EKG graphics it just couldn't keep up on our hardware platform. We had to stick with C++.  C# though gives us the performance we need.  My estimate is that you would need half to 1/3 the amount of code as C++ to get equivalent functionality.  The .NET libraries are quite rich like Java's.

Just wish it supported generics (aka templates) ...