[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

Victor Zhuromsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:20:45 +0200

--------------090402060700030008030608

Thank you very much, brethren, for your mutual answers! I won't give my
replies to each message, but want to thank you for helping me understand
the Unicode stuff. Right away I turn to make my module and see what I have.

God bless you all, and trust we will have new wondrous Greek-Russian
Lexicon for SWORD. My desire is to expand Russian modules data base for
SWORD. And God help us all.

Chris Little wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Victor Zhuromsky wrote:
>

>>Tanks for explanations, but it is really discauraging that I don't have
>>such freedom with Sword engine as I would do with amy HTML browser or
>>original ThML interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for
>>both Greek and Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts
>>are taken from Bible Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If
>>I don't apply these fonts, all the greek and hebrew words would be
>>without accents, etc.
>>

>These are copyrighted fonts that may not be distributed with our text, so
>they are inappropriate for a Sword module.  Furthermore, they are not
>Unicode fonts, so they make it difficult to support other platforms or
>searching in a unified manner.  Even Bibleworks is moving to Unicode for
>their next release.  There is no issue with displaying accents in Unicode,
>you simply need to convert the encoding correctly.  There are a few
>converters specifically for Bibleworks fonts that you can find on the web.
>

>>Anyway, I will try making the module in ThML because it is free, but
>>OSIS is a commercial language and is not good for use in GNU project.
>>That is my opinion.
>>

>OSIS is NOT a "commercial language" and I don't have any idea where you
>got that impression.  OSIS is an open standard developed by the ABS, the
>SBL, CrossWire and many others (including people from CCEL).  It is being
>developed in the open.  ThML, on the other hand, is controlled exclusively
>by CCEL (not that this is a reason to not use it).  OSIS is CLEARLY more
>in line with the goals of a GNU project than any other standard for
>marking up Bibles & Bible-related texts.
>
>If you insist on using ThML, you may, but ALL modules WILL be converted to
>OSIS at some time in the future.
>

>>One more question. How should i mark my Strong's numbers that they are
>>targets in my lexicon, for other bible texts to point to it?
>>

>make an IMP file of the following format:
>
>$$$G1
><def>....</def>
>$$$G2
><def>....</def>
>
>etc.
>

>G for Greek, H for Hebrew.
>
>They will somewhat confuse the current version of Sword, but in the next
>release, we will be moving to Strong's numbers preceded by a G or H in
>order to remove confusion and come into line with standard practices.
>
>The IMP file itself does not need to be valid ThML, just the parts that
>follow a line beginning with "$$$".
>
>--Chris

--------------090402060700030008030608

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Thank you very much, brethren, for your mutual answers! I won't give my replies
to each message, but want to thank you for helping me understand the Unicode
stuff. Right away I turn to make my module and see what I have.<br>
God bless you all, and trust we will have new wondrous Greek-Russian Lexicon
for SWORD. My desire is to expand Russian modules data base for SWORD. And
God help us all.<br>
Chris Little wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0303250639560.2377-100000@www.crosswire.org">
    <pre wrap="">Tanks for explanations, but it is really discauraging that I don't have
such freedom with Sword engine as I would do with amy HTML browser or
original ThML interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for
both Greek and Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts
are taken from Bible Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If
I don't apply these fonts, all the greek and hebrew words would be
without accents, etc.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
These are copyrighted fonts that may not be distributed with our text, so
they are inappropriate for a Sword module.  Furthermore, they are not
Unicode fonts, so they make it difficult to support other platforms or
searching in a unified manner.  Even Bibleworks is moving to Unicode for
their next release.  There is no issue with displaying accents in Unicode,
you simply need to convert the encoding correctly.  There are a few
converters specifically for Bibleworks fonts that you can find on the web.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Anyway, I will try making the module in ThML because it is free, but
OSIS is a commercial language and is not good for use in GNU project.
That is my opinion.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
OSIS is NOT a "commercial language" and I don't have any idea where you
got that impression.  OSIS is an open standard developed by the ABS, the
SBL, CrossWire and many others (including people from CCEL).  It is being
developed in the open.  ThML, on the other hand, is controlled exclusively
by CCEL (not that this is a reason to not use it).  OSIS is CLEARLY more
in line with the goals of a GNU project than any other standard for
marking up Bibles &amp; Bible-related texts.

If you insist on using ThML, you may, but ALL modules WILL be converted to
OSIS at some time in the future.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">One more question. How should i mark my Strong's numbers that they are
targets in my lexicon, for other bible texts to point to it?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
make an IMP file of the following format:

$$$G1
&lt;def&gt;....&lt;/def&gt;
$$$G2
&lt;def&gt;....&lt;/def&gt;