[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:16:25 -0500

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 02:57 am, Victor Zhuromsky wrote:
> Tanks for explanations, but it is really discauraging that I don't have
> such freedom with Sword engine as I would do with amy HTML browser or
> original ThML interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for
> both Greek and Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts
> are taken from Bible Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If
> I don't apply these fonts, all the greek and hebrew words would be
> without accents, etc.

Actually, being forced to use Unicode (UTF-8) gives you more freedom. If you
just use your native encoding then you are limited to that character set. For
example, sure you can use Greek fine via font tags, but what if you want
Greek and English side by side? or Greek and Hebrew? or Greek, Hebrew,
Aramaic, and Russian? You'll be making tag markings all over the place, not
to mention having to handle bidi (bi-directional text) yourself, which I
wager is not fun. But if you use UTF-8 you just use the associated character
codes and boom it's all side by side, only one font is needed, and
right-to-left and left-to-right scripts are all handled perfectly. Plus it
will work on any platform that supports Unicode no matter what locale the
user is in.