[sword-devel] Bible web site show up in w3c.org site as example of technology

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:07:24 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:

> What is the best way to display interlinear text in html? Here is your answer
> :)
>
> I just help my friend who produce the Chinese Bible site (bible.fhl.net) to
> change the html tag they use to display strong number to the new w3c
> recommendation <ruby> tag.
>
> And after that, I recommended to the w3c.org CSS and RUBY editors to use that
> site as demo cases for <ruby>
>
> So... now w3c.org list that Bible site as an example how people use the
> standard they define :)
> We could use the same method to display Greek interlinear text :)

I've been playing with some OSIS to XHTML XSLTs and thought of your
mention of Ruby when I looked at interlinearization of data encoded with
the OSIS <w> tag.  It does look like it will be the way to present
interlinearized text someday, but not yet.

In all my research, the only browsers I have found that implement XHTML
1.1 correctly, with Ruby annotation, are IE6 and W3C's own Amaya.  And IE6
doesn't yet handle CSS3-Ruby (I know it's still a WD) which severly limits
its abilities, especially when more than one ruby is attached to a single
base text.

I posted a screenshot of Ruby in action at
http://www.crosswire.org/~chrislit/pics/rubycontrasts.png .
The two left windows show IE6, the two right windows show Mozilla 1.3.
The two upper windows show a demo of Ruby from i18nguy.com and the lower
windows show a Greek OSIS text with morphology & Strong's numbers
associated with each word.

Do you have any idea when Gecko will support XHTML 1.1 fully, including
Ruby?  It would be very nice to be able to display interlinear text this
way whenever we get Gecko integrated with BibleCS for display.

--Chris