[sword-devel] Introduction

Jason Turner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:24:09 -0700

Trevor,

I recently brought up the same kind of question in another thread. The
conclusions I have come to so far are: To use the SwordApi with either .NET
or VB6 would require 1 of 3 things:

1)Convert Library to Managed C++ and compile with the C# compiler to .NET
runtime
2)Add COM interfaces to Library
3)Reimplement the Library in C# or VB

All three of these options seem to be considerable work. I was considering the
reimplmentation in C#, but now I'm not sure.

Alternatives:

1) Write application in C++ using either:
	a) Cross platform API (wxwindows, qt, fltk, etc...)
	b) Windows API (I don't own Visual C++)
If you don't own a C++ compiler for windows Mingw32 should be capable for this
task.

2) Use Diatheke and whatever language you feel like for the UI.

I currently think that using Diatheke is the best option, probably with a .NET
UI. Diatheke is a commandline interface to the Sword API. I'm going to be
investigating this further.

-Jason Turner