[sword-devel] Search for word in Sword

David Burry sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:38:46 -0800

ICU has good word splitting infrastructure set up, does its rules work
well for Thai?

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: sword-devel-admin@crosswire.org
[mailto:sword-devel-admin@crosswire.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Korten
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 10:36 PM
To: sword-devel@crosswire.org
Subject: [sword-devel] Search for word in Sword

Good day,

We came up against a small problem with our Thai test module. When
searching for a word whose characters are part of other words, there is
no way to delimit the word. This occurs because Thai has no word breaks.

Somehow, the rtf engine seems to break the Thai words reasonably
accurately on the display of text. However, that same logic does not
seem to be in the search module.

The only alternative that I could come up with is to place Unicode
characters in as word breaks. Unicode has various characters to indicate

word breaks (non-breaking spaces, hyphenable breaks) invisibly. These
would have to be placed in the actual text module as UTF8 characters.

If you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

Adrian

P.S. By the way, I have seen Don E.'s first mockup web page and liked it

with the same comments as others. Does this web development and Troy's
new project mean that it will be replacing the Diatheke (v1.3)?