[sword-devel] Web Interface: Word Search Results Page

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:36:50 -0600

Here is the second page of my Sword Web Interface mock-up. Its the idea I
have for what the search results page would look like.

http://elbourne.org/swordweb/wordsearchresults.shtml

If you saw the other page, the layout is familiar. This would be the screen
a user would see after entering the word "sword" into the basic search box
and clicking "go." The center column contains the main search results. The
heading reminds you what string you did a search for. Below that is a hit
count and customary page navigation. Scroll over the "1." I think it would
be a nice touch to display the range for each of the pages. I think the
navigation would be good to go at the top and the bottom of the search
results.

The search results are a list and therefore I have marked them up as such.
This is in keeping with my suggestion to semantically (not visually) mark-up
the pages. In essence the search results are a list of links. I've used the
definition list tags and so the scripture passage is the "definition term"
and the passage itself is the "definition." Clicking on the reference would
pull up the "passage study" page like the first one I
presented.http://elbourne.org/swordweb/passagestudy.html

Within each verse the search string is encapsulated in a <strong> tag. Here
I do not have any style given to it other than the default bold, but if we
wanted we could give it a highlight of a grey background or whatever.
Remember, that would be done with the CSS so no change would need to be made
on the programming end of things.

In the left column you will see a list of translations. I've shortened this
list for the mock-up, but as stated earlier I'm suggesting that the actual
list be set to a subset of the total number of translations. Perhaps the
default could be all English translations and the user could change this in
their preferences. Clicking on one of the translations would perform the
same search in that translation. A "title" attribute tool-tip could indicate
this for a little further explanation. I've coded them into the mockup.
Scroll over the translation list to see what I mean.

In the right hand column is a proposal for a feature idea I have. I do not
know how feasible this is on the programming side of things and so I'm just
offering it as a suggestion. I don't believe any other online Bible has
this. The mock-up is probably self explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.
There you will see a list of all the original language words that have been
translated into the English search term. A short blurb would explain what
the following information provides and the words themselves could be listed.
I've placed the Strongs number and the transliterated word into the list,
but we might want to vary this display. I'm not sure the strongs number is
necessary actually in the list. We could save that for the page they will
retrieve after a click.

I also show the word transliterated. My personal preference would be to see
the word in a Greek/Hebrew font, but that is just me. I really do not like
transliteration, but trying to include the Greek and Hebrew presents
difficulties and I'll leave this area to someone else for now. :)

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org